Hezbollah announces ceasefire in north-east Lebanon



BEIRUT (dpa) - The pro-Iranian Shiite movement Hezbollah announced a ceasefire on all fronts at the outskirts of Arsal in north-eastern Lebanon on Thursday.
"A ceasefire will go into effect on all fronts at the outksirts of Arsal starting 6:00 A.M (3:00 GMT)," the movement said in a statement.



Last Friday, Hezbollah launched a major assault to "clear" both sides of Lebanon's border with Syria of "armed terrorists."
The state-run Lebanese National News Agency said the ceasefire was agreed between Hezbollah fighters and militants of the al-Qaeda linked Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, previously known as al Nusra Front.
According to a well informed source, mediation efforts between the two groups which is being carried by the head of the Lebanese Security General Abbas Ibrahim has resulted in implementing the ceasefire.
According to the source the mediation efforts will also see members who are left from Jabhat fatah-al Sham leaving Lebanon to Idlib in north-western Syria, a stronghold of the jihadist group.
On Wednesday, the Head of Hezbollah, Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah, said his movement is close to victory in the fight against al-Qaeda-affiliated militants entrenched in mountainous areas in north-east Lebanon.
"We stand before a military and field victory... and it was reached with the least possible cost in terms of casualties," Hassan Nasrallah said in a televised speech.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 28th 2017
dpa
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Hdhod authors | International press | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science | Tech and WEB | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Investigation | Sport