Polanski to make another bail bid: lawyer



PARIS- Roman Polanski will file a new request before a Swiss court to be released from jail while the Oscar-winning director awaits a decision on a US extradition request, his French attorney said Saturday.
"We will draw up a new request on Monday," Herve Temime told AFP.



Polanski to make another bail bid: lawyer
The new request will offer "adequate guarantees" to reassure Swiss authorities that the Franco-Polish film director, who faces three-decade-old child sex charges in the United States, will not flee the country if he is released, Temime said.
The Swiss Federal Justice Office turned down Polanski's last appeal on Friday, saying the risk that Polanski would escape the country was "still too high."
Switzerland's top criminal court rejected a similar request from the 76-year-old film-maker on October 20.
The court also found that Polanski's bail offer of his chalet in the Swiss ski resort of Gstaad was not in line with requirements set by the law. It then told Polanski that he could make a renewed bail offer to the Justice Office.
The director of "Rosemary's Baby", "Chinatown" and "The Pianist" has been regarded as a fugitive by US authorities since he fled the United States in 1978 after admitting to having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
He was detained by Swiss police acting on a US extradition warrant when he went to Zurich to collect an award at the city's film festival last month.
The United States has since formally asked Switzerland to extradite Polanski.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, November 1st 2009
AFP
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Hdhod authors | International press | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science | Tech and WEB | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Investigation | Sport