Second Guantanamo inmate to be tried in US



WASHINGTON- The US administration is to transfer a second inmate from the Guantanamo Bay prison for trial in a US federal court, legal documents said Friday.
Mohammed Jawad, who was arrested as a minor in Afghanistan in 2002, is accused of throwing a grenade at a US convoy in the country.



Second Guantanamo inmate to be tried in US
His lawyers say he was just 12 at the time of his arrest, while the Pentagon says he was 16 or 17.
"In light of the multiple eyewitness accounts that were not previously available for inclusion in the record -- including videotaped interviews -- as well as third-party statements," the government has decided to prosecute the case, the documents said.
But the documents said Jawad would not be immediately transferred to the United States.
Tanzanian national Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, who was transferred to the United States on June 9, became the first Guantanamo Bay detainee to be sent to a US court for a civilian trial. His case is proceeding in a New York court.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, July 25th 2009
AFP
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Hdhod authors | International press | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science | Tech and WEB | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Investigation | Sport