Saudi envoy at UN rights body promises prosecutions in Khashoggi case





Geneva – Saudi Arabia's prosecutors are investigating the death of Jamal Khashoggi and will prosecute the perpetrators, a Saudi diplomat told the UN Human Rights Council on Monday.

"The leadership in the kingdom expressed their pain for the murder of citizen Jamal Khashoggi," Bandar al-Aiban, the head of Saudi Arabia’s Human Rights Commission, said in Geneva.



 
As per instructions by King Salman, Saudi "prosecutors started investigations in the case to reach all truths and present all defendants to justice and sentence those proven guilty of this crime," al-Aiban added.
Khashoggi, a journalist and critic of the Saudi rulers, was killed on October 2 after entering Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul to get the paperwork needed to marry his Turkish fiancée, who was waiting outside.
His remains have not been located. There is also no confirmation on who ordered the killing.
Istanbul's chief prosecutor said last week Khashoggi was strangled upon entering the consulate and then dismembered and disposed of in a premeditated operation.
After weeks of denials and under growing international pressure, Saudi Arabia finally admitted that Khashoggi was killed in the consulate, adding that there are 18 suspects under investigations in Riyadh.

 


Monday, November 5th 2018
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Education | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport