Cricket: Banished Symonds says 'fair bit to consider'



BRISBANE - Disgraced cricketer Andrew Symonds arrived here Saturday saying he had "a fair bit to consider" after being ordered home from Australia's tour to England on disciplinary grounds.
The international playing career of the 33-year-old all-rounder is in doubt after Cricket Australia pulled him out of the World Twenty20 tournament on Thursday for breaking team rules.



Cricket: Banished Symonds says 'fair bit to consider'
CA chief executive James Sutherland said the breaches, some related to alcohol use, were the "final straw" for the trouble-prone player.
Symonds declined to answer questions but read a brief statement to a large media contingent at Brisbane airport early Saturday after his flight from London.
"I've got a fair bit to consider I suppose and I appreciate you all coming out here this morning and I will come out and make a full proper statement when I've gathered my thoughts and sat down with friends," Symonds said.
He was driven away from the airport by former Queensland teammate Joe Dawes.
Sutherland said Symonds' central contract, which he retained only last month, was also under review.
His lucrative playing contract with the Indian Premier League has a year remaining.
Australian media has been unanimous in saying that the bad boy of Australian cricket has been given enough chances after a turbulent career beset by persistent off-field misdemeanours.
The groundswell of public opinion on talkback radio and newspaper on-line polls has also been largely in step with the media condemnation of the player.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, June 6th 2009
AFP
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport