Drone strike kills 3 Qaeda suspects in Yemen



Aden, Yemen | AFP |

A presumed US drone strike on Sunday killed three suspected members of Al-Qaeda in south Yemen, a local official said.



  Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said the suspects' vehicle had been targeted and its three occupants were incinerated in the strike.
The attack took place in the Al-Said area of Shabwa province.
Washington has sharply intensified its air war against the jihadists since President Donald Trump took office in January.
The Pentagon said on April 3 that it had carried out more than 70 strikes against jihadist targets in Yemen since February 28.
Before Sunday's attack, two strikes overnight on Tuesday killed five suspected members of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula that the US regards to be the most dangerous branch of the extremist group.
Last month, US media reports said Trump's administration had given new powers to the CIA to conduct drone strikes against extremist targets in the Middle East.
faw/mh/srm/hkb

Sunday, April 23rd 2017
AFP
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science I Tech | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Sport