FIFA considering rights sale in mega deal





Berlin (dpa) - A future 25-billion-dollar deal between world football governing body FIFA and unconfirmed investors could also include the sale of rights to the World Cup, a German media report said Friday.



 
Potential backers for a new global Nations League and revamped Club World Cup could also purchase rights to, among other things, various archives, movies and videos, and merchandising, including for the World Cup, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung paper and broadcaster WDR reported.
FIFA told the the Sueddeutsche and WDR that the details had been taken from an old document which was one of hundreds circulating within the organization.
The report said the potential new investors had close contacts to Saudi Arabia.
FIFA has established a task force to look into revamped tournament formats with president Gianni Infantino a known backer of changes.
The task force, made up of the six continental confederation presidents and Infantino, will deliver its proposals at the next FIFA Council meeting in Miami on March 14-15, 2019, following preivous opposition from European organizing body UEFA.
That meeting comes a year after Infantino first presented the idea, backed by a 25-billion dollar offer from international investors said to include Japan's SoftBank.
Infantiono's proposal has been met by fierce opposition, mainly from Europe with its biggest and richest leagues and clubs in the sport. European officials were also upset by a lack of consultation by FIFA, such as not naming the investors

Friday, November 16th 2018
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Education | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport