French attacker was Moroccan-born criminal with Salafist links



Paris - The perpetrator of Friday's terrorist attacks in southern France was a Moroccan-born 25-year-old with two convictions for petty crime and links to the puritan Islamic Salafist movement, France's top anti-terrorism prosecutor has said.



 

Radouane L received a suspended prison sentence in 2011 for carrying a forbidden weapon and a one-month sentence in 2015 for consuming drugs and obstructing police, Francois Molins said.
He had been put on a national security watchlist in 2014 "because of his radicalization and his links to the Salafist movement," Molins added.
"In 2016 and 2017 he was the object of an effective follow-up by the intelligence services which revealed no warning signs that could indicate a possible act of terrorism," Molins said.

Friday, March 23rd 2018
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science I Tech | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Sport