Jordan summons Syrian charge d'affaires to protest citizens' arrest



Amman – Jordan's Foreign Ministry has summoned the Syrian charge d’affaires in Amman on Thursday to demand that Damascus releases all Jordanians detained since a shared border crossing was re-opened last year.



 
According to the ministry, more than 30 Jordanians have been arrested in Syria since the strategically important Nassib-Jaber border crossing was opened in October, three years after it was closed.
Secretary General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Zaid al-Lozi asked Syria's Ayman Aloush to convey the Jordanian government's "concern and discontent over the repeated arrests of Jordanian citizens without reasons," ministry spokesman Sufian al-Qudah said.
If Syrian authorities have any reservations or suspicions regarding any Jordanian citizen then that person should not be allowed to enter and be sent back to Jordan instead, al-Qudah said.
"But to be allowed in then arrested is something that is rejected and unjustified, especially that the number of those detained has been rising since the borders between the two countries were re-opened," the spokesman added.
This is the fourth time that Jordan has summoned the Syrian charge d'affaires to protest the arrest of Jordanians who enter Syria, the ministry said.
Jordan hosts some 1.3 million Syrian refugees; only half of them are registered with the United Nations.

Notepad


Thursday, April 4th 2019
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport