Kuwait to host Gulf Cup amid Qatar crisis



CAIRO (dpa)- Kuwait will host the Gulf Cup of Nations, the region’s key football competition, beginning this month after Qatar, embroiled in a months-long dispute with its neighbours, agreed to renounce hosting the event, the Kuwait Football Association said on Saturday.
The tournament will be held in Kuwait on December 22 and run until January 5, the association’s head Ahmed Al Youssef Al Sabah said.



In addition to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Iraq and Yemen will participate in the championship, he added.
The opener will pit Kuwait against Saudi Arabia.
Kuwait offered to host the Gulf Cup after FIFA this week lifted its suspension of the Gulf country from international football of more than two years.
The latest edition of the tournament, launched in 1970, comes amid a sharp diplomatic crisis between 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar and a Saudi-led bloc.
In June, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt severed diplomatic, trade and transportation links with Qatar, accusing it of sponsoring terrorist groups, a charge that Doha has denied.
Kuwait has since been acting as mediator to defuse the crisis, but without breakthrough so far.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, December 12th 2017
dpa
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Culture | Education | Interview | Features | Arts | Media | Science I Tech | Entertainment | Society | Travel | Sport