Opera legend Bocelli, who had virus, downplays 'so-called pandemic'



Rome - Renowned Italian tenor and opera legend Andrea Bocelli, a former novel coronavirus patient, has come out as a sceptic on the seriousness of what he called a "so-called pandemic."



Opera legend Bocelli
Opera legend Bocelli
"I know a lot of people and thank God I do not know anybody who has ended up in intensive care. So where is all this seriousness," he said at a Monday conference in the Italian Senate.
The 61-year-old, who caught the virus in March but had few symptoms, also said he breached lockdown orders "because it did not seem fair and healthy" to be forced to stay in.
"When I felt deprived of by freedom to leave home, without having committed any crime, I then felt a bit humiliated and offended," he said, speaking without a mask.
Bocelli took part in an event hosted by Vittorio Sgarbi, a right-wing senator and art critic whose coronavirus denial opinions went viral on social media earlier this year.
After his remarks caused a stir, Bocelli said he was not a denier. "Fear [of the virus] is the only thing we should be afraid of, and I must have been a bit misunderstood on this point," he said.
What was said at the conference "has no scientific basis" and has "elements of evident danger," Massimo Galli, head of infectious disease at the Sacco hospital in Milan, told ANSA news agency.
National opposition leader Matteo Salvini was also present at the event, which was co-organized by a senator from his far-right League party.
Italy was overwhelmed by the novel coronavirus in March and April, but cases have gone down significantly in recent weeks. On Monday, there were 170 new infections and five deaths.

Tuesday, July 28th 2020
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport