Six Sudan protesters killed as attackers try to break up mass sit-in





Khartoum ) – Six people were killed and dozens of others were injured when soldiers tried to break up a peaceful mass sit-in to demand a civilian government, the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors (CCSD) said on Tuesday.



 
The transitional military council, which is currently in charge of the country, however denied attacking the protesters in front of the army headquarters of the capital, Khartoum, on Monday night.
The sit-in has been in process since earlier this year and was one of the main protests leading to the ousting of long-time president Omar al-Bashir.
"Outlaws" who were trying to break up an agreement between the military council and opposition parties had staged the attack, the council said in a statement.
Among the dead was a military officer while three soldiers were wounded, according to the statement.
The attack comes after protesters poured into the main streets of Khartoum on Monday to intensify pressure on the transitional military council to set up a civilian government.
Police and soldiers initially responded by using tear gas and batons on hundreds of demonstrators.
Earlier this month, the transitional military council and opposition groups were unable to agree on the structure and tasks of a joint council they formed in late April to solve their disagreements.
Anti-government demonstrations began late last year with the call for al-Bashir to go. The protesters got their wish on April 11, when the military deposed and arrested him.
But participants say the new military rulers are a continuation of al-Bashir's former regime and have clamoured for more concessions.

Tuesday, May 14th 2019
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport