Terrorist attacks down by nearly a quarter in 2017, US report says



WASHINGTON (dpa)- Terrorist attacks around the world were down by 23 per cent last year, compared with 2016, while the number of people killed in such acts of violence declined by 27 per cent, according to a new report by the US State Department.
The decline of terrorism in Iraq was a major contributing factor to the downward trend globally. Kidnappings by designated terrorist groups were also sharply down by nearly half.



The Islamic State group was the main perpetrator of terrorist attacks, though its activity was in sharp decline. The group has lost nearly all the territory it once controlled in Iraq and Syria. However, there are signs al-Qaeda is expanding.
Five countries - Afghanistan, India, Iraq, Pakistan, and the Philippines - experienced 59 per cent of all attacks. More than two-thirds of all deaths took place in Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, and Syria.
The US government continues to view Iran as the leading state sponsor of terrorism, though it also continues to list North Korea and Syria. Sudan is also on the list, though the State Department said Khartoum was working with Washington on counter-terrorism.
Speaking with reporters, Nathan Sales, the top US diplomat working on counter-terrorism, said Washington was putting pressure on al-Qaeda to prevent its "resurgence."
He noted that the group has slipped out of global headlines in recent years but cautioned that the group which attacked the US on September 11, 2001, has not given up its goals of attacking the country and its allies.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 21st 2018
dpa
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Education | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport