Three Filipinos, South Korean freed in Libya from captivity




Abu Dhabi (dpa) - Three Filipinos and a South Korean seized by armed groups in Libya last year have been freed due to efforts by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the Gulf country said on Friday.



 
The four engineers were abducted while working at a water desalination plant in western Libya, the UAE Foreign Ministry said in a statement, according to the official news agency WAM.
"Upon receiving requests from the Philippines and South Korea, the UAE communicated with the Libyan National Army to work on releasing them and to ensure their safety," the ministry said, referring to Libyan forces commanded by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.
The four were airlifted to the UAE capital Abu Dhabi prior to be taken to their home countries, the statement added.
It was not immediately clear who had abducted the four in Libya, or how they were released.
The UAE is considered an ally of Haftar whose forces have expanded their foothold in strife-wracked Libya in recent years.
Libya has descended into chaos since the ouster of Moamer Gaddafi in a 2011 armed revolt.

Friday, May 17th 2019
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport