Huawei and Google discussing solutions to US ban, founder says





Beijing – Huawei and Google are discussing solutions to restrictions placed by the US government on companies that do business with the Chinese telecom giant, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei told domestic media on Tuesday.

"Google is a good company, a highly responsible company," Ren said in an interview published by various Chinese media outlets.



 
He said Google and Huawei are discussing relief measures to a US Department of Commerce order last week that US companies obtain a license if shipping products to Huawei.
The department late Monday announced a grace period of 90 days on the policy. 
Google said Monday it would continue to support existing Huawei smartphones, which use Google's Android operating system. However, following the restrictions, popular Google services such as Maps and Gmail could become unavailable on Huawei phones, making them less desirable. 
The ban also affects US chipmakers such as Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom. The companies have told employees they were cutting off Huawei until further notice, Bloomberg News reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
German chip maker Infineon also said it was halting the supply of products made in the US to Huawei, but denied reports indicating that Infineon had stopped all chip supplies to the Chinese company.
The US government is accusing Huawei of aiding Beijing to spy on other countries – though it hasn’t presented any evidence.
Washington is pressing its European allies against using Huawei’s 5G network technology, citing security concerns.

Tuesday, May 21st 2019
(dpa)
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport