Opera star Placido Domingo: 'They are accusing me of false things'



ROME (dpa)- Placido Domingo, the opera star who faces sexual harassment allegations, complained in a Monday interview of being accused of "false things."
Speaking to Italy's Corriere della Sera, the 78-year-old Spanish singer and conductor said he had no life regrets, and "there is nothing I would do differently."




"I always tried to do good. Now there is this problematic and for me painful situation. They are accusing me of false things. I never abused anyone nor profited from my position. My conscience and my mind are clear. You can make mistakes in life, but I never offended anyone," Domingo said.
Earlier this year, several female singers and one dancer accused Domingo of unwelcome kisses, hugs, nightly telephone calls and of pressuring them to meet him privately.
He rejected their accounts as "inaccurate."
In response to the allegations, US cultural institutions distanced themselves from Domingo and in October, he resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera, a position he had held since 2003.
In Europe, the Spanish star is still welcome and Corriere della Sera refers to a December 15 performance in his honour at Milan's La Scala theatre, marking the 50th anniversary of Domingo's debut there.
"Europe is different, perhaps the presumption of innocence trumps the temptation to condemn immediately. But in reality I have not been accused of any crime," Domingo told the Italian paper.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, December 3rd 2019
dpa
           


New comment:
Twitter

News | Politics | Features | Arts | Entertainment | Society | Sport